Am I doing this feeding right?

My two Nigerians (one wether and one doe) are about a year old and I am giving a small handful of noble goat (6 oz tea cup- 1/2 (3 oz) to each am and pm) and they get about a big handful each am and pm of alfalfa.They love the noble goat and eat the alfalfa but leave most of the alfalfa behind. They browse the rest of the day.

I'm not sure what to do in winter, but is my feeding them correct so far? Any suggestions. I need help.
Thanks..

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• lot of contractions like "Y'all"  hehehehe, of course it's a compliment  :-)    Oh yeah, that comedian "you might be a redneck if........"  funny stuff...  my favorite comedian is Larry the cable guy---always in stitches laughing with him.    I was out again redoing their pen (always want to make sure things are good and ready for winter a coming..) and of course she comes and lays next to me so I can't work and he squeezes in between to be the one close to me...he is definitely a butthead  :-)   I wonder if there are any pictures of FAT goats to compare..?

I think I mostly worry about that (Urinary Calculi) with him

• Don't worry. As I said just keep an eye on them and if they start to look to fat cut them back a little at a time til they get how you think they should look. And yes, they do seem to look fine right now.

Thanks, I think, for saying I am funny, I take it as a compliment. I don't try to be, it is natural, I am just an ol' country girl-or redneck, you might say. I remember having a you might be a redneck if...shirt, and most of the stuff on it (list of like 20 things) actually applied to me. What sticks in my mind the most was You might be a redneck if ...your porch were to collapse it would kill at least 6 dogs... implying that rednecks have a bunch of dogs hanging around the yard. That has always been the case with me.

I actually write with much better English than I speak with because I do use a lot of contractions, when I talk. That is why I also write some of my contractions. Like don't instead of do not. But I don't care who says ain't, ain't a word. It is is too! I know it is and I ain't gonna argue that point with nobody! 

You just watch them babies close momma and don't worry so much, they gone be just fine, they got a good momma that obviously loves them!

• Thanks Margaret, I did post some pics of them on here and so far so good is the concensus  :-)  You're funny..  OH, I feed them in the am and pm and recently put left over hay and alfalfa in a barrel that's cut in half that they can eat from if they want, they won't get fat on that will they? It is pretty full, Should I not have it out?

• Trish, I think that is the reason for part of the confusion. The heavy milkers require way more nutrition than a wether and a dry doe (doe not pregnant or milking) like you have. If they are producing a lot of milk and feeding 3or4 kids or being milked regularly they would benefit from a lot of alfalfa. But, yours would be very fat  if they ate like milkers do.

The most important thing you can do to determine if they are doing ok on what they are eating is to watch there body condition. Look at lots of pics of other peoples goats and get a good idea of what they should look like and any time you are in doubt just post some pics and ask us. We will help you, all we can. We don't mind, I promise. If you could bug people to much they would have already banned me from the site for being a massive pest. LOL!

Mine seem to range from good to to fat. It is impossible to keep them all the same when fed together because some just get fat easier than others just like us people do.

• I'm in southern New Mexico.  That's where I get confused, is one persons says NO alfalfa and others say as much as they can eat.  I recently bought minerals and they haven't touched it.  You have goats that milk, mine boy and girl don't.

• oh, as far as the winters, usually very mild.  if it snows, it's gone by noon, rarely gets down to 25 degrees at night if that..usually dry

Margaret Langley said:

Trish, I just saw your pics and I agree with Deborah that it looks as if they have plenty to nibble on throughout the day if they have access to all that. I would personally continue the small amounts of alfalfa at least, but keep an eye out that they don't get to fat or thin and adjust things accordingly.

I am concerned about this all dying off in winter. I don't know what your winters are like. I live where there is always lots of green stuff even in the so called "winter". You know the more time goes buy the more I can't figure out why I have not had a herd of goats for many years, because where I live there is always free natural goat food around that I could have taken advantage of and it makes me sick to have not had lots of goats all those years. 

• Aw thanks Margaret...  I love being out with them and it's just so fun.  I will pick some for me and then call one over and give them some and we just browse together....(sounds weird for folks that don't understand the love for goats)...   and Yes it's very airy in a shed.  I just get nervous I'm not doing the right things and don't want to harm them as they are so great..got a book at the feed store..paperback called Hobby Farms Small Scale Herding for pleasure and profit by Sue Weaver.  Nice little book.  Even has a list of all the poisonous weeds.

• Trish, I don't think that is any stranger than if you were putting away your children's favorite fruits for winter. You are trying to plan ahead and also cut cost. It's smart.

Do be careful about keeping it aired good so it won't mold. Don't be surprised if some things they eat change also. We (some folks on forum/some people I have read in books) have noticed that they tend to like different things fresh than dry. There are actually somethings that are safe at different growth stages and poisonous at other stages. Because of this you may want to save a good variety.

But strange, heck no, more power to you, and if they think you are one of the herd out browsing with them, then that's cool too!

• Margaret, you may think this is strange, but I've started collecting the green weeds and leaves that they like and eat.  I'm keeping in tubs.  It's been a month and still somewhat green but dry and to me it's like drying out fruit.  I have a lot so I think it will last throughout winter.  I gave some to the goats and they are eating it.  I think it still has nutrients, but should not have lost much.  It gives me time to interact with them and collect while they are browsing (maybe they think I'm browsing with them?)  so perhaps it increases the bond  :-)

Margaret Langley said:

Trish, I just saw your pics and I agree with Deborah that it looks as if they have plenty to nibble on throughout the day if they have access to all that. I would personally continue the small amounts of alfalfa at least, but keep an eye out that they don't get to fat or thin and adjust things accordingly.

I am concerned about this all dying off in winter. I don't know what your winters are like. I live where there is always lots of green stuff even in the so called "winter". You know the more time goes buy the more I can't figure out why I have not had a herd of goats for many years, because where I live there is always free natural goat food around that I could have taken advantage of and it makes me sick to have not had lots of goats all those years. 

• Margaret, yes I appreciate the difference in geography.  I think a lot of New Mexico/Arizona/Texas problems are the drought Which greatly impacts the farmers and growing different hays and the cost.  The east coast doesn't seem to have a drought problem like we do. (wish the east coast could ship some flood water here)... I remember back in the early 90's when I had geese I used to get alfalfa and it cost me $7 a bale, now it's $16+.  Plus the fact we have different vegetation and weeds than the east coast does.  I have requested a friend add from someone in my area, but have not gotten a response.  I think I do need a mentor  :-)  I love my goats, they are awesome.  I'm thinking about renaming ben to horn dog.

This reply was deleted.