50 more days to go. Yolanda is getting heavier and just starting to develop an udder. So exciting, this will be our first kidding. Black one is Yolanda, gold one is the buck. she isn't very big so i am guessing a single

Can't really see the udder starting to develop, but it is. looks like the teats may be a little to the outside as well.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Your welcome, I plan on doing this again with my mini lamancha 

Lori said:

Thank you for posting all the pictures!  As Deborah said, newbies like myself learn a lot from the posts of others.  I read through the post and was saddened to learn of you loss.   

• Thank you for posting all the pictures!  As Deborah said, newbies like myself learn a lot from the posts of others.  I read through the post and was saddened to learn of you loss.   

• I agree with everything James said. Does increase in production for several years before they peak, and if your doe has a lopsided udder, it's probably from kids favoring one side.

Dion Walters said:

Is it true that ffers don't produce as much milk as the next following years.

i also was wondering i have a ff mini-nubian and she has one right side utter that is huge gives me about 1 1/2 c then other side the left looks collapsed but still  gives me about 3/4 -1 c . will tht change or is that a bad utter?

along with my nigi's and my mini-nubi beast whole raw milk available have changed peoples mind on whether they like it or not.

• I don't know from personal experience but from what i have read they do increase in production each freshening until around the 4th time. I have a thread, i think it is in the dairy section, that has my milk records. In the beginning i was getting about 20 oz for a while and now i am getting 16 oz/day at about 6 weeks. It is a little disappointing as it is hardly worth going out to milk one goat for a cup, but I am also wanting to keep her milking, training for the next freshening. I have also been researching on freshening twice a year and am considering doing thatt just for this year for fall kids.

as for your mini nubian udder, my first thought would be a kid only nursing from one side and keeping it milked out, is she nursing? Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

• Is it true that ffers don't produce as much milk as the next following years.

i also was wondering i have a ff mini-nubian and she has one right side utter that is huge gives me about 1 1/2 c then other side the left looks collapsed but still  gives me about 3/4 -1 c . will tht change or is that a bad utter?

along with my nigi's and my mini-nubi beast whole raw milk available have changed peoples mind on whether they like it or not.

• yes please do keep us updated on the milk production.

Kare said:

Update on my doe - I took her in for ultrasound and X-ray yesterday and no sign of babies, but her uterus was still enlarged, so we think either it was a false pregnancy carried to term or she kidded without us knowing and something got the babies before we could see them.  There is absolutely zero evidence of a birth in the pen, so I'm guessing it was a false pregnancy and all she had to clean up was fluids.  At any rate, we get to see her gorgeous udder, don't have to deal with dead kids (which is what I was afraid of) and we will be milking her!

• I'd also vote for false pregnancy. Congrats on her getting far enough along to be making milk! I hope you'll make a new post in the forum and let us know how that goes. It doesn't happen very often, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Kare said:

Update on my doe - I took her in for ultrasound and X-ray yesterday and no sign of babies, but her uterus was still enlarged, so we think either it was a false pregnancy carried to term or she kidded without us knowing and something got the babies before we could see them.  There is absolutely zero evidence of a birth in the pen, so I'm guessing it was a false pregnancy and all she had to clean up was fluids.  At any rate, we get to see her gorgeous udder, don't have to deal with dead kids (which is what I was afraid of) and we will be milking her!

• Update on my doe - I took her in for ultrasound and X-ray yesterday and no sign of babies, but her uterus was still enlarged, so we think either it was a false pregnancy carried to term or she kidded without us knowing and something got the babies before we could see them.  There is absolutely zero evidence of a birth in the pen, so I'm guessing it was a false pregnancy and all she had to clean up was fluids.  At any rate, we get to see her gorgeous udder, don't have to deal with dead kids (which is what I was afraid of) and we will be milking her!

• Yes, i have noticed a lot of early kiddings online also, and a few in my state.

• This seems to be happening a lot this spring - or maybe I am just more aware of it.  I have a doe due any day now and I'm concerned since I don't know the actual due date.  Her udder is huge and tight.  She had some discharge yesterday and seemed more vocal than usual to me, but no contractions.  I just read the other post on this group and put in a call to my vet.  She is a ff too, so no history to go by...

This reply was deleted.