Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Question: Can DE be used for goats to elimnate parasites instead of a dewormer? I was talking to my dad about parasite problems, and he said "Why don't we just get them some DE?" Would that work? I guess I'm kind of confused by that. If you can use it, how do you use it?

Views: 648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used it last spring in my dewormer experiment. The DE group actually had the best results. I put 1/4 cup on their grain daily for a week.
So would you recommend using it then? I don't give grain, so would you add it on the mineral feeder?

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:
I used it last spring in my dewormer experiment. The DE group actually had the best results. I put 1/4 cup on their grain daily for a week.
How much to start off with then?

PlayRite Farm said:
Yes i use it, just not as much as Deborah uses, maybe you have to work into that much?? Yes i would put it in the mineral at least to get them started..

WorkingGoats4 said:
So would you recommend using it then? I don't give grain, so would you add it on the mineral feeder?

That is my problem. They are old aged does - never been bred, just for pets and working purposes - so they don't get grain. All they have is hay feeders and something for minerals. Can I still use it ?

PlayRite Farm said:
how much grain do you put out,, a couple of cups at a time i'd do a TB spoon full. if you pore in the hole back probably a cup..that is what i would do already

WorkingGoats4 said:
How much to start off with then?

PlayRite Farm said:
Yes i use it, just not as much as Deborah uses, maybe you have to work into that much?? Yes i would put it in the mineral at least to get them started..

WorkingGoats4 said:

Six or seven years ago, I mixed DE with my minerals, and my second and third bucks died from parasites when I did that, so I assumed that DE didn't work. Then I met more and more people over the internet who swore that DE worked, so I started asking them how much they used, and I learned that it was a LOT, which is where I got the 1/4 cup. Basically the grain was completely white, but I use Purina Goat Chow, which has a lot of molasses in it, so it sticks to the feed really well.

Out of curiosity, I put DE in a mineral feeder, so the goats could take as much or as little as they wanted after that first week, and it disappeared. I'm not there all the time so I don't know who took how much, but someone was eating it. A lot of people say that animals know what they need, so if you just make it available to them, they'll eat it. I have since run out of DE and have only had one doe out of 15 that had a heavy worm load since spring, and I gave her pure wormwood, which worked well. If you have one of those two-hole black mineral feeders from TSC, you can just put the DE in one of the sides.
Thank you for the advice! I do have one of those feeders and I'll give it a try! Just curious, how will I know it is working?
Just pay attention to body condition, color of eyelids, shape of poop, all the usual things.

WorkingGoats4 said:
Thank you for the advice! I do have one of those feeders and I'll give it a try! Just curious, how will I know it is working?
Okay. Thank you!!! :)

Just pay attention to body condition, color of eyelids, shape of poop, all the usual things.

WorkingGoats4 said:
Once your goats freshen, that's when they really need it, and you'll be giving them grain then. The first couple months after freshening seems to be the time when the internal parasites really hit them hard. Unless you have signs of obvious parasite overload at other times -- poor body condition, pale eyelids, pooping like a dog -- you shouldn't worry about it.

Laura Jo said:
Thank! I actually just watched a video by them on Sat, and that's why I started taking the DE, before I had been putting it off.
Can someone explain WHAT this DE is?
I would not rely on D/E to deworm goats. If you do, please take fecal samples to make sure it is working.
JMO
Jackie
Last spring I split my goats into three groups (five each) for deworming after kidding, since that's about the only time they all need it. One poor goat was left as the control, and she got nothing. There was a DE group, a Molly's herbal group, and a Cydectin group. I did fecals, body condition scores, FAMACHA scores, and noted the shape of their poop the week before kidding, one week after kidding, and then did follow ups when body condition and FAMACHA scores fell below the middle. The DE group got 1/4 cup of DE mixed with their food daily. For the Molly's group, I followed her directions, and for the Cydectin group, I used the sheep drench and doubled the dosage, as recommended by the Southern Consortium for Parasite Control in Small Ruminants.

The DE group had the best outcomes. None of them needed anything else. After a couple weeks to a month on Molly's all of those goats were switched to the DE group because of high worm loads, low FAMACHA scores and body condition scores. Most of the Cydectin goats had similar issues as the Molly's goats, which confirmed my thought that the parasites are resistant to Cydectin. The goat who initially got nothing was doing so poorly within two or three weeks that I used Safeguard, morantel tartrate, and Cydectin together to deworm her (as recommended by the SCPCSR when you know you have chemical resistance).

I ran out of DE and have been using 100% wormwood for the past six months for any goat that needed it, which only amounted to six (three milkers, two wethers, and one 12 year old). It has been working extremely well, so I'm planning to have two groups this spring -- one with DE and one with wormwood -- and repeat the whole experiment again. I have around 20 kidding this spring, so the groups will be larger, which is a good thing when you're looking at validity of results.

I've thought about decreasing the amount of DE but am apprehensive about it, because it appears to work at this level. When talking to people who swear it does or does not work, everyone who swears it works uses it in very large amounts. If they didn't measure, they said the grain was completely white after mixing. People who swear it does NOT work are the ones who either mixed it in the minerals or used only a tablespoon a day for three days or something like that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2020   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service